Oct 5, 2010

The (Almost) End of an Era

I think LZ is just about ready to give up naps. Up until recently, she was down to one a day, but now I'm lucky if I get that.

It's weird, though. For the past few days, she's been napping 2+ hours everyday. Then today, back to "normal," which means no nap at all most times. Though I thought it would be the opposite, she doesn't seem to nap at all on preschool days. I guess she's too worked up.

I knew this day would come, I just don't want it to just yet.

Among the (many) drawbacks of no more naps is that she finally sees what I do all day. It involves lots of screen time, computer mostly, video games next and some TV watching. Unfortunately for both of us, this makes her want to do those things, too. I've been trying to cut back on screen time for her, and this doesn't help.

I've been trying to add projects on non-school days, like yesterday we made a necklace out of pasta and cheerios. Tomorrow I plan to make sugar cookies with her. And that's good and fun (and good for me, too. I really spend *way* too much time on the computer. I mean, really, *waay* too much). But it requires, you know, planning and preparation and organization and stuff, none of which are my strong suits.

I also want to start working with her more regulary on her academic skills. I have a ton of those dollar workbooks with colors and letters and numbers in them. Those aren't as much fun for me, unfortunately, but she does enjoy them. I just have to get off my butt and make them part of the routine.

Ah, getting off my butt. The start of any worthwhile plan of action and the downfall of most of mine.

No comments: